Saturday, January 29, 2011

January 29th

How January does drag on at the last.

The sun came out late yesterday and I took some pictures of the light.










We grilled out that evening, though the air was chill and damp. Keith came in smelling of Jack Daniel's honey barbecue sauce. That smell lit up all those neuron pathways in my brain, a little path of light leaping back into past memories of Keith and grilling, summer... warm sun... falling in love, getting married, making out on the back deck or on the back of the Chevy. Yum.
I love how marriage gets better with time. I love how we do the same things, year after year. I know that no matter what happens in Georgia, we'll grill out chicken and baked potatoes. Today we are driving into Louisville to see the Boat and RV show, just like last year.
We'll hold hands and wander around, lost in our own personal day dream. We'll take our shoes off and pad up onto the decks of boats we'll never, in a hundred years, afford. Unless we decide to be crazy and sell the house and live on the water ways...
Then we'll see the toy haulers and we'll day dream about taking the kids up into the Rockies, ATVs stowed away, and camp for weeks at time, drunk on the air, getting dusty and tanned.
In the meantime, spring is coming, I can feel it. It's just under the ground all squishy with melted snow. I can hear bird song again in the early morning, when I take the girls out.