Saturday, March 12, 2011

March 12th

My poor readers. I apologize. When I log on and see that you're all still reading, my heart warms and then I get guilt stricken for feeding you boring material.

But what can I do? I don't even want to make up a different life, I'm so in love with the one I'm actually living right now. I hardly even think about the chances of getting pregnant either. It's just not on my mind. In fact, if I were to give you the brutal truth, I'm thinking that a baby would be a large nuisance at the moment.

How cold is that? Of course, if I happen to get pregnant, such thoughts will fly away like chaff. And then, probably, they'll come back to roost and make me feel guilty. Because, it's true, they are, they're no end of lack of sleep and distruption and fuss. What's more, they frequently make some god awful smells.

Still, though, if one came along, you know. I'd make do. *grin*

Today Keith is going riding and while the Keith is away, the kitten will work on her story. Right now he's stomping around in dirty boots, restless and bored, riling up the dogs, waiting for his fellow rider to arrive and interrupting my train of thought.

I think I'm writing up through the layers of my ego state. The peasant girl was very young, fifteen, and hardly able to talk, powerless. Even at the end of the story, she can't talk without blushing, or stammering, and despite her triumph, she's still defined by her humility. She's frequently horrified or overwhelmed. But she's steady and loyal and has a lot of common sense.

In my new story, the character is twenty and boy is she articulate. She's far more clever than I am, she says things right off the bat that I could never actually find on the tip of my own tongue. Not to mention, she's in college, with her own tiny studio apartment and used car. She can hold her own, even if she is still shy and gauche, a bookworm with messy hair.

Also, my language loosened right up in this story. I shook off the stiff, formal phrases of the faerie tale for a far more limber and contemporary voice.

It still doesn't have a plot, but I'm trying an experiement. I think that the plot will reveal itself as I write. I just have this hunch. I could be wrong, I could be just leading this pointless, meandering story around in circles, only to peter out. But I'm going to try it and see.