Tuesday, March 29, 2011

March 29th

My life in summation:

Still no period.

Seventy one thousand words. At least nine thousand to go.

One hundred ninety four pages.

One hand drawn map.

Two weeks until the move.

Two days until we get paid.

One pulled muscle in my thigh, from trying to increase my pace.

It's cold and gray and I must clean the upstairs. I should be doing that now.

Exerpt:

The horses were busily grazing nearby. Fat, black and yellow bees buzzed by, intent on the tall spikes of flowers that filled the meadow. I watched a bee crawl inside one of the bell shaped blossoms and almost disappear. The air was filled with the smell of grass.

“How far away are we?” I asked, tossing my apple core toward Burroch. He nuzzled it and then crunched it happily between his teeth, oozing bits of juice from the corners of his mouth.

“Three days and two nights, or thereabouts,” Ceallach said.

“Let’s just stay here.”

“If only.”

“Is it dangerous, what you’re going to do?”

“Not so much for me. And as for you, little girl, I will bedeck you with iron as if it were gold.”

“And I thought my family was dysfunctional,” I murmured. It was very hot. The smell of grass and the wine had made me sleepy. “And by the way, I’ll have you know that this year I’m turning all of twenty one. It‘s a very important year for us humans, as you must know.”

Ceallach laughed. “You don’t say? All of twenty one?”

“Don’t be jealous. Just because you’re ancient…” But I couldn’t finish because he had lifted his arm, dropping me back onto the grass.