Saturday, March 5, 2011

March 5th

I feel bad about constantly blogging about my writing.

I can't help but think that it must be boring, but I just have to blog about it. For one thing, it's the thing that I'm wrestling with the most, and that's always what I blog about. And for another, seeing as I don't have a writer's group to go to, I use the blog as a kind of silent board against which I can throw ideas.

I do this mostly in my head actually. Ninety percent of the blogs I think about posting never get written, but they still help.

I'm at the end of the story. It's like any of the books that were so good I had to devour them. It's like sitting up til one in the morning, propping your eyelids up with toothpicks to keep reading and then you finish and you are bereft.

And I'm stuck about how to wrap up the ending.

Here's the problem.

In the faerie tale, the king has taken the magician's memory, right? Well, how did he do that? I see only two possibilities. Either the king himself is a magician, or the king has in his service a magician of equal or similar power to ours.

I picked the later option, mostly because a king who is also a mage just seems too formidable and beast to write about besides.

So there's now two magicians in the story.

In the faerie tale, all it says is that the girl comes, touches our magician with rosemary and then they go back to her house.

That is not helpful. Not in the least. It just doesn't translate well:

Does Evil Magician try and stop her?

Logical.

Does he know she is there?

Raises more questions than it answers.

Does our magician stay and fight right then and there?

Problematic. (How does he win against his enemy and the King's Guard, right after coming out of a powerful spell himself and with his tower broken?)

Does he hot foot back to his own territory?

Cowardly or good strategy?

Do they fight sometime during the flight?

Probable.

Does he raise the tower first and then fight, or fight and then raise the tower?

Problems either way.

Or does he not fight at all and I just leave that string dangling, a perpetual rivalry that never comes to its head?

Oh so tempting.

I don't like fight scenes, they're remarkably hard to do, especially when it's magic. It just comes out so silly, to my mind. Magic is best when it's half hidden, almost completely unexplained and coming out of no where. I like it best when it's tied up in nature and when it makes vivid, beautiful images for one moment, and then it's gone and you wonder if you saw it or not.

That's not the kind of magic you fight with, I think. Isn't it?

The fact of the matter is, my imagination has temporarily left me high and dry right at the end of the story, so now I am stuck with only whirling bits of hackneyed ideas. I want my story to be seamless, I want it logical, both in emotion and in action, and I want it as simple as possible.

I just don't know how I'm going to make it that way.

Bugger.