Monday, May 9, 2011

May 9th

I had no idea Mother's Day was getting to me so much, until I read a blog written by an adoptive mother, and how it feels to get through the day when one wishes to be a mother, but is not, somehow, for some reason, achieving that particular state in life.

At that point, when I felt like bawling my eyes out, I realized.

But, I don't want to talk about it. What can be done, anyway? Bah humbug, I say.

Let's see, what else has been happening around the new Indiana household?

Keith folded up, emptied and otherwise removed the last of the boxes that had been left behind and now even the closets are organized.

We have been swimming so much that my arms ache.

I already love Georgia more than I ever loved Kentucky. Though this might change when summer comes. It's hard to remember that it's not summer already. I have that languid, lazy summer feeling.

We're still waiting on:

Our security deposit from the house in Kentucky
Our reimbursement for moving expenses
Our rent check from CO

All that equals having absolutely no money. Hamburger helper tonight!

Putting chapters in a story transforms the editing process. It is a revelation to me, how marvelously the chapter format focuses my attention. I see each scene and the way in which they flow, one to another, in a bright, clear way. Everything stands out to me.

Lately, I've just been scrolling happily up and down, randomly, through my story, finding a chapter beginning, and reading down from there, happily editing as I go.

I have completed section three and am well into section four, when they return. And, my, my my, but that is sheer fun. It's a little bit of work, untangling what I already wrote and no longer fits, and what I already wrote and I no longer like and what I didn't write and now know needs to be in there.

Despite all that, it feels almost effortless. Mostly because it's set in the real world, which I can write about right off the top of my head. When they were in Tir na nOg, I had to come up with bloody everything, all the time.

Also, they're just so darn cute now. They've grown so much. Now they are out from under the pressure cooker. They just have to pick up the pieces of their old life.

And survive Duana. Heh. One last hurdle.