Thursday, July 28, 2011

July 28th

I'm still playing with my blog background, as you can see.

I am exhausted! And I get so caught up in feverish research that I don't end up spending any time on my creative writing.

So, I'm going to pick one agent a week and work on the submission for one hour in the morning and then put it away. The next day I'll get it out and work on it for another hour, etc, etc.

The next Monday I'll send it out. When I get the rejection letter, the process begins again.

That way this whole process won't consume all my time and brain cells.

Oh, by the way, this is Keith's contribution to the search for the perfect query letter:

"I wrote a f-ing book. Read it."

Giggle. See, that's why he's the platoon sergeant and I'm the writer.

Mini excerpt:

“I will tell you about the stars,” Pidguyok said immediately, “those cold and beautiful lights. Did you know that the stars are actually fish? In the sky, there are entire galaxies of worlds, just as there are fish in the sea. And they swim through the night sky, each in their own way, upon their own path.

“And they sing as they swim. They are the sirens of the sky, singing in their intricate languages and like the voices of the whales, their songs roll out through the great distances between them, so that they all sing in harmony. That way, even when they travel a solitary path, they know that they are not alone in the sky.”