Wednesday, August 3, 2011

August 3rd

My right wrist and lower arm hurts after typing for even an hour or so. This has been going on for some time- the past month, I think. I keep not wanting to think about it; it annoys me.

I'm afraid I'm getting carpal tunnel syndrome. Figures. If I put cushions on the chair, so that I'm not reaching up for the keyboard, and lower the keyboard until it's flat on the desk, and not do any other activity with my hand, (such as Guitar Hero-oh the sadness!) then the pain is slower to appear.

Eventually, I guess I'll have to get an ergonomically designed keyboard and a wrist brace, or something.

Despite the fact that on Monday Keith had three tests to take and another one to study for that morning, he found the time to surprise me with a card. The first line reads: "I love all the different sides of you."

Mmmm.... He loves me because I am complicated. Now, that's love, right there.

He said he read through a crap ton, and he hates doing that. I like imagining what he looked like, still in uniform, worn out, standing beside the pink, blue and red ebullience that is the card isle, scowling as he reads yet another wrong anniversary card. No doubt he stuffed it back in the wrong slot, his eyes already scanning for the next likely target.

I wrote all day yesterday. I was all, "The hell with this. I'm getting the damn thing over with." And that's exactly what I did. I wrote Torii all the way to the Gate, and past it. I wrote until six thirty in the evening, when Keith came home.

My brain was fried. Not to mention my wrist.

I have to go back, of course, and do major rewriting and add ins. But that's easy. The hard part is the first writing. It's like throwing a rope across what you feel certain must be an unbridgeable chasm. Once you've got that first rope fastened, then you can start building up and building better.

And oh my lord. I love writing this part of the story.