Saturday, December 17, 2011

December 17th

We survived Walmart on Super Saturday- if that doesn't speak well for a marriage, I don't know what does.

Actually, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I expected full on madness, with weeping and cart bashing in the isles, as small children wailed and adults grabbed up the last of whatever toy is hot on the market right now.

Surprisingly, everyone was well behaved, if a little strained around the eyes.

I got eggnog flavored creamer, and ricotta cheese to make Keith's new favorite dish- baked stuffed manicotti, and another roast and big fat steaks to grill, because the temperature was in the seventies today, and why not grill during Christmas time?

What could be more festive than standing around outside in bare feet, grilling steaks and drinking margaritas on the patio?

Hot cocoa with marshmallows, you say? Roasted chestnuts? Turkey?

Ha.

I see people walking around outside with coats and sometimes even scarves on and I wonder.

Are they doing that just out of a feeling of nostalgia for winter wear? Do they feel left out of the tailored styles of outerwear and accessories that the rest of the country get to parade around in this time of the year?

It wouldn't suprise me- I'm starting to do the same thing. Sometimes I go into the closet and just run my hand along my entire row of silk lined wool skirts and heave a sigh. Today, I wore black tights just because.


I rediscovered the 16th Psalm recently:

Keep me, O God, for I am safe in You.

I said to the Lord, “You are my Lord.
All the good things I have come from You.”

As for those in the land who belong to You,
they are the great ones in whom is all my joy.

Those who have traded for another god bring many troubles on themselves.
I will not take part in their altar gifts of blood.
And I will not take their names upon my lips.

The Lord is all that I am to receive,
and my cup.

My future is in Your hands.
The land given to me is good.
Yes, my share is beautiful to me.

I will give honor and thanks to the Lord,
Who has told me what to do.
Yes, even at night my mind teaches me.

I have placed the Lord always in front of me.
Because He is at my right hand,
I will not be moved.

And so my heart is glad.
My soul is full of joy.
My body also will rest without fear.

For You will not give me over to the grave.
And You will not allow Your Holy One
to return to dust.

You will show me the way of life.
Being with You is to be full of joy.
In Your right hand there is happiness forever.