Sunday, February 26, 2012

February 26th

The following is why I purchased the book by Carmichael. It is very good:

"Doesn't this tell us something about the love of God- and isn't it just like Him to let us know that He wants us to lean on, not only His lovingkindness, but on His very self? Consider these words, which will further open your understanding:

Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of His disciples whom Jesus loved. (John 13:23, KJV)

Whoso leaneth on the Lord, happy is he. (Proverbs 16:20, KJV)

He is indeed happy with us!

Now see what happens when we lean on Him:

Cause me to hear... for on Thee do I lean. (Psalm 143:8, KJV)

It was when John was leaning that he heard the Lord's answer to the question that troubled the others.

And this wonderful promise, so often repeated:

What time I am afraid, I will lean on Thee. (Psalm 56:3, KJV)

I will lean, and not be afraid. (Isaiah 12:2)

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace... because he leans on Thee... Lean on the Lord forever: for the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength. (Isaiah 26:3,4 KJV)

It is marvelous to me that God's Spirit led the writers of these words to the same special verb, to lean. By one simple word, He means to show us so clearly that it is never anything in us that accounts for the Lord's goodness to us. Everything we are given is all from Him.

The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart leans on Him and I am helped. Therefore my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song will I praise Him! (Psalm 28:7)

May the Lord of love make this word of His to be "like a firm grasp of the hand" to you today."

-Amy Carmichael, I Come Quietly to Meet You