Tuesday, June 17, 2014

June 17th


Summer, 2012


I was walking in the park, very aware in my spirit that Jesus was right beside me, and I was talking to Him about this video I had seen, of a professor talking about faith in God. The beauty of his clear, logical thinking had moved me to tears.


"I can't do that," I confessed to Jesus, anxiously. "I'm not able to think in such logical, clear cut patterns. I can't glorify You in that way."


That's all right- you're not on My debate team, Jesus replied, with His so delightful humor.


I was still getting used to His sense of humor, and I still don't know if He meant that simply as a figure of speech or if in some sense He does have a debate team, but I was able to join in the fun a little.


"You mean, I haven't majored in Apologetics?" I asked.


Just so, Jesus agreed, smiling. Who are you, to Me?


"I'm Your dove, Your dove in the clefts of the rock," I answered, shyly.


Exactly, He replied.


*


"Verse 14 says, "O my dove, that art in the clefts of the rock, in the secret places of the stairs, let me see thy countenance, let me hear thy voice, for sweet is thy voice, and thy countenance is comely."


"Formerly, the maiden was only described as having the eyes of a dove. Now she is described as a dove itself. The Lord calls her according to the position she is about to attain. If she hides in the clefts of the rock and in the secrets places of the stairs, she will truly live a life in the Spirit. This is why the Lord calls her this way.


"Now the Lord begins to ask for the fruits of the travail of His soul for the satisfaction of His own heart. He is hinting that she should live for Him..."


-The Song of Songs, by Watchman Nee, The Call of the Cross (2:14)


*


July 16, 2013

Jesus was sitting and I stood next to Him; I could see His dark head, bent forward. There was this emotion in Him, a mingled grief and sorrow and a kind of weariness- not the weariness that is the lack of strength or purpose, but the desire to done with suffering.

This feeling in Him stirred up all my love for Him. I put my arms around His shoulders. “You Beloved Son- You well-loved Son," I whispered to Jesus. "You do all things well. You accomplish all that You set out to do, all the Father’s will. You are like a beloved instrument, perfectly fashioned to the work, chosen and sent and perfectly faithful. You will not return void. You will set them upright and whole at the end of time, tucked safe within the Father."


He looked at me. The expression on His face was open and unguarded; I could see His face clearly; everything was awash in golden light.



You help Me with this, Jesus replied. You are like a beloved and perfectly fashioned tool in My hands for that work, that work that was planned for you to do through Me. You are chosen and beloved and equipped and perfectly fashioned and you do all that you are made for simply by being yourself in Me, My own, My little one.

I was not expecting Him to reply that way and I had never thought about it that way before, but once I did, I could see that it was true.


*


They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.  Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth. As You have sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. And for their sakes, I sanctify Myself,  that they also might be sanctified by the truth.

John 17:18

*

June 16, 2014

"Let them have those places, whatever that is and however that functions!" I declared, joyfully, thinking of the places at His right and left hand. "It is right and good, however Abba appoints it. As for me, You are all that I want."

Is that so? Jesus asked, His eyes twinkling.

"Yes!" I insisted.

Then I paused to think about it more deeply- to consider if it were possible for me to enjoy anything apart from His immediate presence and I could not imagine it. Heaven would be meaningless to me, if I were not curled up close to Him.

"Yes, it is so," I declared, throwing open my heart and giving it all away to Him. "Listen," I whispered to Jesus, "You are my heaven. You are the bed where I lay me down to sleep; You are the only house in which I live. You alone are the food I eat and the water I drink. You are the breath I breathe; You are the light by which I see. You are the only life I have."

*



Keep me safe, O God,
    for I have come to you for refuge.

I said to the Lord, “You are my Master!
    Every good thing I have comes from you.”
The godly people in the land
    are my true heroes!
    I take pleasure in them!
Troubles multiply for those who chase after other gods.
    I will not take part in their sacrifices of blood
    or even speak the names of their gods.

Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing.
    You guard all that is mine.
The land you have given me is a pleasant land.
    What a wonderful inheritance!

I will bless the Lord who guides me;
    even at night my heart instructs me.
I know the Lord is always with me.
    I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.

No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice.
    My body rests in safety.
For you will not leave my soul among the dead
    or allow your Holy One to rot in the grave.
You will show me the way of life,
    granting me the joy of your presence
    and the pleasures of living with you forever.


Psalm 16, NLT