Sunday, April 1, 2012

April 1st

"Today the goodness of God cries out,
and the waters come to life with Your saving grace.
Radiant is Your joy, O God,
and the splendor of Your love is alive, alive."

-The Monks of Weston Priory

I got back from my walk, and those words leaped out at me from the song.

What a beautiful day it is today! The light shimmered on the edges of all the tender green leaves. It made a haze of light at the edges of everything.

One could look down through the lace of light into further vistas of green-lipped light and further down into bottle green and dappled shadow.

A lilac tree grows at the edge of the lake there, and as I walked toward it, the smell of the lilacs and the smell of the warm water and the smell of fish were all mingled together, as though to capture the very essence of early summer.

Today is Palm Sunday, and it seemed as though the very landscape were crying out in joyful worship. I was caught up in this worship, in the recognition of my Lord, my Creator, my triumphant and humble King.

Keith is doing much better, and resting up in the hotel. He sounds like his normal self when he calls. The very afternoon that he got out of the hospital, he went to catch the last half hour of class, still with his arm taped up from the I.V.

As I passed through my neighborhood, I smelled pancakes and bacon from someone's open window, which evoked a whole host of memories and longing for my own family breakfasts on a sunny Sunday.

Maybe one day, I will be making pancakes for Keith, and children of our own. In the meantime, I have so much already.